Classic Northern Italian meat sauce from Bologna served over rich egg noodles topped with Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (small dice, about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery (small dice, about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots (peeled and small dice, about 1 cup)
- 1/3 pound ground beef 85% lean
- 1/3 pound ground veal
- 1/3 pound pancetta (small dice)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes (with their juices)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 pound tagliatelle pasta
- 1/4 pound grated parmesan cheese (freshly)
- 1/4 pound butter (small dice)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the onion and carrots and dice them, along with the celery and pancetta, into 1/8-inch pieces.
- Saute the carrots, onions, and celery with
- the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed
- pot over a medium-high flame, stirring
- frequently until soft and caramelized,
- about 20 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, pork, pancetta, and salt and continue cooking over high heat, stirring frequently until dry, about 10 minutes
- Add the red wine and cook until dry while continuing to stir, about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk, scraping to clean the sides and bottom of any caramelized
- ingredients, and continue cooking and stirring until dry, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and water, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook, stirring periodically until the flavors meld, about 30 minutes. If desired, sauce can be simmered for up to 3 hours at this point. If you prefer to cook it longer, add 1 cup of water every 30 minutes to keep the sauce hydrated.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Pro tip: Use 1/4 cup salt per gallon of water.
- Cook the pasta, stirring frequently, until al dente (2 minutes less than called for on the box), then strain.
- Combine the pasta, sauce, and butter, and finish cooking over a medium-high flame, stirring constantly while adding water as necessary until cooked to your preference.
- Remove from heat and serve with a generous grating of Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
|Calories770Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.