This recipe for Swiss Tart with Caramelized Onion is a decadent and savory treat for a holiday or Sunday family dinner. This recipe is for four servings, so if you need to adjust it, make note. Ingredients include sugar, butter, egg yolks, cold water, salt, oil, sliced onions, buttermilk or milk soured with vinegar, eggs, grated mozzarella cheese, nutmeg, crumbled blue cheese, salt, and ground black pepper.
- 250 grams sugar
- 40 grams sugar
- 125 grams butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2.5 grams salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions (large, sliced)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk soured with vinegar)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mozzarella (grated)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 30 grams blue cheese (crumbled, optional)
- salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 210 Celsius.
- Sfit the flour and sugar together and lace into a bowl. Cut in the butter.
- Beat the egg, water, and salt together until the salt dissolves. Add to the flour mixture and mix together. Cover the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours.
- Roll out the dough and place into a pie pan. Prick the surface with a fork, put aluminum foil over the dough and fill with rice or beans for weight.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, take out the weight, and bake for 5-10 minutes more, until lightly brown.
- Lower the oven to 180 Celsius.
- Saute the onions in the olive oil until golden. Place in the pie pan.
- Mix the eggs, buttermilk, nutmeg, mozzarella, and blue cheese together in a separate bowl. Add salt and pepper and pour over the onions.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until lightly golden on the top and firm to the touch. Remove from oven, cool 15 minutes, and slice.
|Calories690Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat360|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.