Sweetened CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
This old-fashioned recipe paves the way for a sweet finale, one that can be customized to your taste. The five-ingredient batter comes together in a matter of minutes. Use it to fill a buttered, floured springform pan. Then, spread the surface of the cake with spoonfuls of your favorite jam, be it blackberry, strawberry or apricot, and bake it until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. A sprinkle of powdered sugar finishes it off.
- 150 grams strong flour
- 20 grams yeast (brewer’s)
- 80 grams milk
- 450 grams flour
- 200 grams water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon
- 100 grams butter (at room temperature)
- 50 grams melted butter
- 150 grams powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1Quickly combine the flour, the yeast, and the milk in a small bowl and let it rise until it has doubled in size, approximately 1 hour.
- 2Dissolve the yeast starter in a bowl with the water, add the egg yolks and blend well.
- 3Add the flour, sugar, salt, and the grated lemon peel, knead together and add the butter.
- 4Knead vigorously for 8 to 10 minutes until the dough no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. The dough will be soft, it is not necessary to add more flour.
- 5Place the dough in a bowl greased with butter and let it rise for approximately 1 hour.
- 6Place the dough on the work surface and knead it briefly; cut it into 16 pieces and shape the pieces into 16 balls. Dip each ball in the melted butter and place them inside a 26 centimeter cake pan, cover the pan and let the dough rise for approximately 30 minutes.
- 7Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 30 minutes.
- 8Remove the pan from the oven, let cool slightly and brush them with the icing while warm.
- 9Beat the powdered sugar with the egg whites and the rum in a bowl, the mixture should be thick. Add more powdered sugar if the icing is too thin, if it is too thick, add a few drops of rum.
- 10Let the icing set and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1070Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat320|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.