This delicious treat is perfect for using as a filling for dessert such as profiterols or use to to top a cake. The sweetness of the jam is great for smearing on a piece of homemade wholegrain toast or stir it into a bowl of plain yogurt for the perfect breakfast. This is great to keep in the refrigerator for last minute dessert prep, or make a large batch and package it beautifully for a heartfelt gift around the holidays.
- 1 kilogram wheat (Alentejo)
- 750 grams sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 lemon
- Bake the grain during and skin it (which takes some work but the result is much, much better!)
- Blend the grain to puree.
- Melt the sugar in a pan with just a little bit of water and add the puree, cinnamon stick and lemon zest. Stir well until the puree is incorporated in the sugar syrup and bring to a boil, until the mixture is not too liquid or too thick. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- I placed the still-warm candy in sterilized jars, covered them, and turned them upside down to create a vacuum.