Sweet and Spicy Salad with Latin-Rubbed Pork TenderloinPORK
This main-course salad is a meal in itself; just add a crusty baguette or warm flour tortillas. The spice rub can be made ahead and stored in a covered jar on the pantry shelf. For a healthy, quick weeknight meal, the pork can be rubbed and set aside for as little as 20 minutes. Do this while the grill heats. If desired, buy pre-sliced pineapple rings in the produce aisle to save time. This salad would also be good with the addition of sliced avocado. Just slice 2 or 3 avocados into thin wedges and arrange over the pineapple slices.
- 2 pork tenderloins (about 2 pounds total)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 2 heads butter lettuce (large, leaves separated)
- 1 pineapple (medium, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices)
- 1/2 jicama (peeled and cut into 1/2-by-2-inch sticks)
- 2 Anaheim chiles (cored and sliced crosswise into thin rounds)
- 2 cups tomatillo salsa
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (coarsely chopped, for garnish, optional)
- Mix together Latin spice rub ingredients (1 Tbs dark brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp cayenne). Rub spice mixture over pork tenderloins. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Prepare medium-hot fire in charcoal grill, preheat gas grill to medium-high, or set large grill pan over medium-high heat on stovetop. Spray grill grate with vegetable oil spray. Grill pork, covered, turning as each side sears, for total of 20 minutes. Using instant-read thermometer, check internal temperature of pork; the pork is done when it registers 145 degrees F. When done, transfer pork to cutting board. Let pork rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- While pork is grilling and resting, prepare salad. Arrange 2 to 3 large leaves of lettuce on the upper half of each of 8 dinner plates. Overlap 5 slices of pineapple at top of plate over lettuce. Scatter jicama sticks over top. Lay rings of the Anaheim chile over top.
- Cut pork tenderloins into 1/2-inch thick slices. Arrange slices, overlapping on bottom portion of each plate. Drizzle salsa over each salad. Garnish with cilantro.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories300Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat50|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes