Chicken doesn’t have to be a boring healthy dinner option. This recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken with Orange, Prunes and Pine Nuts is hearty and packed with robust flavor. It takes 85 minutes to prepare this dish for six. This tasty dinner combines savory and sensation herbs with decadent and rich chicken drumsticks and breasts. This recipe is a treasure, so now you have to decide who you want to share it with. Happy cooking!
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken breasts (with skin)
- 125 grams pitted prunes
- 1 onions
- 2 orange (organic)
- 200 grams pinenuts
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 rosemary sprigs
- 1 thyme (sprig)
- 1 cup sweet white wine
- 1 cup curacao
- 1 bowl chicken broth
- In a cast iron skillet, melt 20 gr. butter, add the chopped onion and saute.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown at all sides.
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the oranges into slices (keep the skin).
- Add them to the pan around the chicken with the bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and fennel.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, cover and bake for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the wine and curacao.
- Toss the chicken to coat well with the sauce.
- Return to oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces and add the prunes, pine nuts and a chicken stock.
- Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Put the chicken back and cook for another 4-5 minutes tossing so the sauce coats the chicken.
- Serve with white rice.
PER SERVING *
|Calories710Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat300|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.