There's no need to order take out when you can easily and quickly prepare sweet and sour chicken at home, and it will have your kitchen smelling utterly amazing. After all, it's a lively mix of red bell pepper, canned pineapple, onion, tomato paste, cider vinegar, and brown sugar that's all cooked along with the diced chicken breast, with cornstarch being a thickening agent. Cooked rice is the must have accompaniment.
- 3 chicken breasts
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 red pepper
- 3 slices pineapple (canned)
- 1/2 onions
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 200 milliliters pineapple syrup (canned)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- olive oil
- 1 tomatoes (medium ripe, peeled and cubed)
- Dice chicken breast and season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Dice pepper, pineapple and onion.
- Set aside.
- Whisk cornstarch and pineapple syrup until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar and sugar and mix well.
- Heat a little olive oil in a wok or a high-sided skillet.
- Sauté onion until translucent.
- Add chicken and cook until golden, stirring constantly with a spatula.
- Add tomato and cook briefly.
- Add pineapple and pepper and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Drizzle with prepared sauce and stir.
- Bring to boil and cook until sauce thickens slightly, stirring constantly.
- Serve with white rice.