Sweet Strawberry SmoffeeARICHLUCH
Have you ever had coffee and fruit? I don't just mean enjoying a cup of coffee with a plate of fresh fruit. I'm talking about infusing the two. I'm talking about freshly-brewed coffee blended together with some perfectly ripe fruit. I'm talking about a "SMOFFEE!…
Okay, okay, you may have seen or heard the term before. I've come to find out it was the name of a small cafe that is no longer in business and is apparently a brand of coffee. When you enter "smoffee" on urbandictionary.com, the definition reads laconically, "Smoke + Coffee." I've also discovered a few tweets have been made with "smoffee" in them and as hashtags, describing what I thought I had coined the term for. I thought I had coined the term for what is simply coffee blended with fruit.. You know, a smoothie with some coffee in it - a "smoffee." Yeah, it's the dumbest name for such a thing but I don't even care. I think it's whimsical and amusing. Alright, I don't think that either. I just like saying "smoffee" and thinking I innovated the term myself.
Anyways, I truly do think the idea isn't that bad. Some healthy fruit mixed with some coffee can actually be quite beneficial to the mind, body, and soul. Not only does the fructose in the fruit give you a healthy sugar kick to the day, but the caffeine in the coffee helps boost your energy levels as well! The great part about smoffees is that they don't leave you uncomfortably wired and jittery. When consuming coffee that includes whole foods with ample calories and nutrients, the caffeine doesn't cause that notorious malaise that follows a caffeine crash. This helps you stay motivated and energized throughout the day!
They're also really easy to make and take very little time. While your coffee is brewing, you can combine the other ingredients in the blender and be ready to go by the time it's done brewing. It's as simple as throwing your favorite fruit and coffee in a blender with your choice of milk or milk substitute (Since I'm a vegan, I use soy milk in my recipes and because I think it's the boldest milk substitute, really contributing to the singular taste of fruit mixed with coffee). I've made the amount of coffee a personal part of the recipe as well, because I know some really enjoy a nice caffeine rush and the extra cup can put quite an auspicious flair to the taste, depending on how much you enjoy coffee itself. Experiment with your own recipes and see how great coffee can compliment fruit. You'll be surprised!
In this particular "smoffee" recipe, I've made the sugar optional because I know it's not really necessary. If you want a strictly healthy start to your day, skip the sugar! But if you're craving something sweet, the sugar really does leave you satisfied and makes the concoction that much better!
- 2 cups brewed coffee
- 8 strawberries
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. sugar (optional)
- Start brewing some coffee, yo.
- Throw in a 1/2 cup of milk or milk substitute of your choice in your blender, followed by the strawberries and sugar. The more strawberries you put in, the less strong the coffee will be.
- After your coffee is done brewing, immediately pour it in your blender and blend away. Sixty seconds or less is all it really takes, depending on how powerful your blender is.
- Immediately serve for peak freshness! The other great aspect of smoffees is that they're never too hot. I'm a big baby when it comes to hot foods and drinks, waiting as long as ten minutes sometimes before I even take a small sip of a morning cup o' joe. With smoffees, the fruit and milk/milk substitute cools the just-brewed coffee right off and it's ready to go! Coffee at its freshest and tastiest!
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories110Calories from Fat20
|% DAILY VALUE
|Calories from Fat20
|% DAILY VALUE
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes