This recipe is derived from a classic case of "We're out of food, and all we have left now is rice, milk, and sugar. Hmmmm...,". Sweet rice is an extremely simple, yet totally delicious soupy, cinnamon-y recipe that bathes in a buttery, milky liquid and is accentuated by the delicate zest of a lemon peel. If you cook this for breakfast, you won't even have to get your kids up for school! They'll already be sitting around the table, hair brushed and homework done, waiting for this sweet breakfast treat.
- 250 grams rice
- 300 grams sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 lemon peel (slices)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 50 grams butter
- 0.5 liters water
- 5.5 liters milk
- ground cinnamon (to taste)
- In a saucepan, bring the water, and washed rice to a boil. Season with a little salt ,and cook until the water evaporates. Then add butter, lemon peel, cinnamon stick, and milk.
- Stir, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally, so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sugar, and stir.
- Beat the egg yolks, and stir into the rice.
- Turn off the heat, as soon as it starts to boil.
- Pour into bowls, and garnish with ground cinnamon.
- Refrigerate, and serve cold.