- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potato (peeled, cut into 3/4 inch pieces)
- 1 cup red lentils (dried)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (coarsely chopped)
- 1 egg (lightly whisked)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 3/4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil (to shallow-fry)
- greek yogurt (to serve)
- baby spinach (to serve)
- lemon wedges (to serve)
- Place sweet potato and lentils in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins, or until tender. Drain. Return to pan and mash. Set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and spices. Cook, stirring, for 2 mins, or until fragrant. Mix with sweet potato, cilantro, egg, flour, ground almonds and 1 cup breadcrumbs. Shape into 12 patties. Coat in remaining breadcrumbs, shaking off excess. Chill for 20 mins.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Working in batches, shallow-fry patties for 3 mins per side, or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with yogurt, spinach and lemon wedges.