When you see sweet potato in combination with coconut, you know you're in for a bit (or a bunch) of tropical flavor, here captured in a quick bread. The sweet potato is pureed, so it imparts much moistness along with its distinctive taste, while coconut is provided in three forms: shredded coconut, coconut milk, and coconut oil. A mix of spelt flour and whole wheat flour makes this loaf more wholesome, too, as does using brown sugar instead of white.
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar (brown dark)
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup potato puree (sweet, boiled or baked)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar and coconut.
- In another bowl, mix the coconut milk, puree and oil.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix gently until combined.
- Place the dough in the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick insert comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool with butter and homemade jam.