Sweet Potato & Maple Sausage SkilletPork
- 1 pound breakfast sausages (maple)
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (2 large or 4 small, cut into 1-inch dice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 cup onions (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup mushrooms (diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup gouda (shredded)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, rosemary, 2 teaspoons of oil, salt and black pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and bake until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and bell pepper are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large bowl, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- 4Return the skillet to medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Cook without stirring until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Gently turn the sausage and cook without stirring until the other side is brown, about 2 minutes. Add the sausage to the bowl with the vegetable mixture, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- 5Add the sweet potatoes to the bowl with the vegetable mixture, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- 6Wipe out the skillet and use it to cook the eggs as desired, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Arrange the sausage mixture on plates, top with the cheese and eggs and serve.