Sweet Potato Pie with AlmondsAs receitas lá de casa
Sweet potatoes are often used in baking pies and other desserts, including this delicious roulade. Always cook sweet potatoes in their skins to prevent the flesh from browning when exposed to air. Here, sweet potatoes are pureed with almonds, flour, eggs, sugar, and spices to make a smooth batter, which is baked and rolled up into a log, with toasted almonds tossed with sugar and cinnamon as the filling slash topping.
- 270 grams sweet potatoes (cooked)
- 300 grams sugar
- 5 eggs
- 125 grams slivered almonds (70g + 55g)
- 60 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1Cook the sweet potato with the peel on so the flesh doesn’t darken.
- 2When cooked, peel and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- 3Preheat over to 180°C (approximately 356º F).
- 4With margarine, grease a rectangular pan, line with a sheet of parchment paper and grease again.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Heat a non-stick skillet. When hot, add the almonds and toast until slightly browned.
- 7Remove from heat and set aside 70 grams of the almonds.
- 8Leave the rest in the pan, adding sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- 9On a flat surface, place a lightly damp kitchen towel. Spread the almonds with the sugar and cinnamon on the towel.
- 10In a blender, grind the 70 grams of almonds into a flour.
- 11In a bowl or food processor place the mashed sweet potatoes, eggs and sugar.
- 12Beat well until fluffy.
- 13Add the almond flour, wheat flour, cinnamon powder and a pinch of fennel (optional).
- 14Mix on low speed until all the ingredients are well combined.
- 15Spread the dough on the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- 16After the pie is baked, remove from the oven, allow it to cool for 5 minutes and unmold onto the towel with the almonds.
- 17Wrap the pie in the towel and leave it inside the towel while it cools down.
- 18Once cool, remove the cloth carefully and transfer the pie to a pie plate or serving dish.