Sweet Potato MuffinsKooking
The sweet potatoes in these muffins give them a ton of sweet and savory flavor. A touch of cinnamon added to the batter is the perfect accent to the sweet potato and gives the muffins a nice warming flavor. These are best served the day they are made, when they are still a little warm from the oven. If you have leftovers, you can freeze them to enjoy later or cut in half and grill up with a little butter for an indulgrent treat.
- 1 sweet potatoes (large, approximately 400 g)
- 200 grams wheat flour
- 80 grams rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 125 grams brown sugar (or raw)
- 125 milliliters sunflower oil
- 125 milliliters milk
- 90 grams almonds (chopped)
- sugar (for garnish)
- sliced almonds (for garnish)
- 1Peel and chop sweet potato.
- 2Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water, about 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- 3Drain and mash well with a fork until pureed.
- 4Set aside to cool.
- 5Preheat oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- 6In a bowl, mix wheat flour, rice flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- 7In another bowl, beat eggs and add sugar, oil and milk.
- 8Mix well.
- 9Stir in sweet potato puree and mix until well blended.
- 10Add flour mixture and mix well.
- 11Fold in almonds.
- 12Place cupcake liners in a muffin tray.
- 13Fill cups about 3/4 full with muffin batter.
- 14Sprinkle a little sugar and sliced almonds over each.
- 15(Tip: before baking, adjust heat to lower heating element, so that muffins rise more).
- 16Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until done.
- 17Let rest for five minutes in the muffin tray, then remove from tray and let cool on a wire rack.