The classic sweet potato casserole topped with gooey toasted marshmallows.
- 4 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Spray a 9 x 13” casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scoop the baked sweet potato flesh from the skins and place in a large mixing bowl. Discard the skins. Add the brown sugar, butter, cream, spices, salt and pepper. Mash the mixture with a potato masher or large fork until it is smooth and creamy.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl. Whisk to combine with the sweet potato mixture until smooth.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to the casserole dish. Use a rubber spatula to smooth it into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows evenly over the sweet potatoes
- Transfer the casserole dish to the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes, until the marshmallows are puffed and golden brown, and the dish is bubbling at the edges.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven.
- Allow the sweet potato casserole to rest for 5 minutes before serving.