Sweet Potato Honey PocketsReceitas Da Felicidade!
There's sweet potato rolls, sweet potato pie, and now sweet potato pockets, all of which put the singular flavor and fleshy texture of sweet potato to delicious use in a way that's sweet, not savory. The potatoes go into a filling that's bound with egg yolks and ground almonds and flavored wtih cinnamon (of course), brandy, and orange juice. Forming the little pockets is easy to do; just use an upturned glass (or a cookie cutter) to cut out the rounds, then dollop on the filling, fold to enclose, and seal.
- 250 grams flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 150 grams sugar
- 1/2 deciliter water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 orange (large, juiced and zested)
- 1Sift the flour and pour out onto your working surface.
- 2Make a well in the middle and slowly mix in butter, olive oil, salt, water, brandy, orange juice, and zest.
- 3Knead very well to form a ball. Cover in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- 4Boil sweet potatoes until cooked and tender when stabbed with a fork.
- 5Peel the sweet potatoes then mash to make a purée.
- 6Add egg yolks and ground almonds and mix well.
- 7In a saucepan make a syrup by bringing 1/2 cup of sugar and a little water to a boil.
- 8After 8 minutes, add the sweet potato purée and let it thicken, stirring constantly so it does not stick.
- 9Stir in cinnamon, orange juice, zest and brandy.
- 10Remove the dough from from the refrigerator and place onto a lightly-floured working surface. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough very thinly. Use the rim of a glass or a pastry cutter to cut circles from the dough (re-roll the remaining scraps and cut more rounds from them).
- 11Place a teaspoon (or a tablespoon) of the filling on one half of the pastry then fold over and seal to form half-moons.
- 12Pierce the top with the tines of a fork then either deep fry or bake the pockets until golden brown and cooked through.
- 13Roll pockets in cinnamon-sugar and serve.