There's sweet potato rolls, sweet potato pie, and now sweet potato pockets, all of which put the singular flavor and fleshy texture of sweet potato to delicious use in a way that's sweet, not savory. The potatoes go into a filling that's bound with…
egg yolks and ground almonds and flavored wtih cinnamon (of course), brandy, and orange juice. Forming the little pockets is easy to do; just use an upturned glass (or a cookie cutter) to cut out the rounds, then dollop on the filling, fold to enclose, and seal.
- 250 grams flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs yolks
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 150 grams sugar
- 0.5 deciliters water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 orange (large, juiced and zested)
- Sift the flour and pour out onto your working surface.
- Make a well in the middle and slowly mix in butter, olive oil, salt, water, brandy, orange juice, and zest.
- Knead very well to form a ball. Cover in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Boil sweet potatoes until cooked and tender when stabbed with a fork.
- Peel the sweet potatoes then mash to make a purée.
- Add egg yolks and ground almonds and mix well.
- In a saucepan make a syrup by bringing 1/2 cup of sugar and a little water to a boil.
- After 8 minutes, add the sweet potato purée and let it thicken, stirring constantly so it does not stick.
- Stir in cinnamon, orange juice, zest and brandy.
- Remove the dough from from the refrigerator and place onto a lightly-floured working surface. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough very thinly. Use the rim of a glass or a pastry cutter to cut circles from the dough (re-roll the remaining scraps and cut more rounds from them).
- Place a teaspoon (or a tablespoon) of the filling on one half of the pastry then fold over and seal to form half-moons.
- Pierce the top with the tines of a fork then either deep fry or bake the pockets until golden brown and cooked through.
- Roll pockets in cinnamon-sugar and serve.