- 2 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- grated nutmeg (Freshly)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (plus additrional, for sprinkling)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter
- 30 sage leaves (fresh)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place whole sweet potatoes on a baking pan. Bake for 45 mins, or until soft.
- While still hot, cut the sweet potatoes in half horizontally and scoop out the flesh. Pass through a potato ricer into a large bowl.
- Add the egg yolk, nutmeg and Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Gradually sift in the flour, stirring it into the sweet potato mixture as you go. Once a loose dough has formed, divide into 8 pieces.
- Dust a work surface with flour and roll each piece of dough into a log about 3/4 inch in diameter. Cut into 1 inch lengths. Place the gnocchi on a floured baking pan.
- Cook the gnocchi in large saucepan of boiling salted water until they float to the surface, then cook for a further 1 min. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- For the sage butter, place the butter into a saucepan on medium heat. Cook until it starts to foam and smell nutty. Add the sage leaves and remove from the heat.
- Divide gnocchi among 6 serving bowls. Spoon the sage butter over the top and sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.