Making your own sweet potato chips doesn't take any longer than a trip to the grocery store, and they will be so much better than anything from a bag, especially when they are served while still hot. Plus, when you make them yourself, you can add seasonings to your liking, such as the cinnamon sugar in this recipe. You'll want to slice the potatoes as thin as possible and to soak the slices in water to remove some of their starch, for crispiest results.
- sweet potato (depending on number of people)
- oil (for frying)
- fine salt
- Rinse the potatoes thoroughly under running water.
- Do not peel. Cut into very thin slices.
- Heat the oil.
- Rinse the potatoe slices again and press to dry with a clean towel.
- Fry in hot oil. Remove from oil once slices are golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with fine salt and eat immediately.
- Tip: These potatoes can also be made in a sweet version.
- After draining the chips, roll them in sugar and cinnamon.
- They are excellent!