- 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and in 2-inch chunks)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 15 ounces red kidney beans (drained and rinsed, or 2/3 cup dried beans, soaked overnight and boiled briskly for 10 minutes because of the freaky red bean toxin thing)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 14 1/2 ounces tomatoes (whatever's on sale, mine had oregano and roasted garlic)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (chipotle)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice (not pictured. If you don't have any in the house, use water)
PER SERVING *
|Calories160Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Grace Fellhoelter F. 26 Feb
Loved this recipe and will make again!!
Luc 6 Mar 2017
orange juice made it to tangy didnt care for it at all might give it a try without orange juice .we will see
Count K. 4 Oct 2016
Very delicious recipe. Love the way it turned out and made it again as soon as I ran out. However, I used regular paprika and hot mexican chili powder because I couldn't find the spices it called for.
Ems W. 12 Sep 2016
Wonderful! we added real tomatoes (by mistake!) but it was good! Otherwise I liked it as is. Husband later added some beer and extra beans to it. Still good but I preferred it as written. It was a bit thin but maybe tomato paste would help? I didn't mind it thin but husband wanted it thicker.
Laura E. 21 Apr 2016
Fool proof and delicious!!!! My guests were in love with this hearty meal and didn't take notice it was vegan. I am making it again today. If you need to impress someone with your slow cooker, I recommend this one as a winner.
Elinor A. 20 Feb 2016
Good slow cooker recipe, I will make it again. I used frozen vegetables instead of the bell pepper since I'm making it in the winter and those are not in season. I also added some dehydrated hot pepper slices I have from the garden, for a little heat. The sweet potato and kidney beans go well together.
Jennifer W. 19 Feb 2016
Way too much going on! First, there is too much onion, then it's very sweet from the sweet potatoes, then it's spicy from the seasoning. There isn't a balance. This recipe needs tweaked.