In the same way that sweet potato makes a luscious pie filling, so it can be a wonderful ingredient in preparing cakes, too. Here the sweet potatoes are first boiled until very tender and then peeled and mashed or pureed until smooth before being beaten into the batter. Beaten egg whites that are folded into the batter keep the cake from being too dense, while grated orange zest and almonds contribute subtle yet distinctive flavors.
- 300 grams sweet potato
- 80 grams margarine
- 125 grams sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 Orange (zest)
- 200 grams almonds (grated)
- 50 grams flour
- Bake unpeeled sweet potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- Drain, peel and mash well. Preheat oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- Beat margarine and sugar with electric mixer. Add sweet potato puree slowly, stirring constantly.
- Add egg yolks, one by one, orange zest, grated almonds and flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into sweet potato mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured round cake pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
- Let cool. To serve, remove cake from pan and dust with powdered sugar. Garnish with cinnamon, if desired.