- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 red onions (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 ounce fresh root ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 red chili (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 1 mango (peeled, stoned and finely diced)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (light)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces yogurt (full-fat)
- 8 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 pound sweet peppers (mixed red and green)
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions, ginger and chili until softened. Add the mango and vinegar and simmer for 1 min. Season with salt. Allow to cool.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, turmeric, cayenne pepper, cumin and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt and 9 tbsp water. Stir the flour mixture into the yogurt.
- In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil to 350°F. Dip the peppers in the batter and fry in the oil until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm. Serve with the mango chutney.