- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon active yeast (dried)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 ounces butter (softened)
- 2 eggs (+ 1 egg yolk)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- red food coloring
- Place the flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of milk until lukewarm. Stir in the yeast, 1/4 cup of sugar and a pinch of salt. Pour into the well, mix with a little flour from the edge and brush over a little more flour. Cover and allow to rest in a warm place for 15 mins.
- Add the butter, 2 eggs, remaining sugar and the rest of the milk and knead with the dough hook of a mixer until smooth. Cover and allow to rest for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 6 large (8 oz) and 6 small (3 oz) ovenproof cups and sprinkle with sugar. Divide the dough into 6 2 oz balls and 6 4 oz balls and press into the cups. Beat the egg yolk and cream together and brush half over the dough. Bake the small cups for 18 mins and the large cups for 25 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and immediately brush with the remaining egg wash. Allow to cool for 5 mins, then turn out of the cups and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the icing, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice to a smooth, thick icing. Divide into 3 equal portions. Color 1 portion pink, 1 portion red and leave the remaining portion white. Spoon into 3 freezer bags and cut a small corner off each.
- Place the buns back in the cups and decorate with red, pink and white hearts.
PER SERVING *
|Calories550Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.