Vol-au-vent is just the classic French term for what are actually fairly simple, albeit incredibly delicious, filled pastries, which can be layered with sweet or savory fillings. Here, the puff pastry sheet is spread with sweet fig jam and chopped walnuts, then rolled up into a log and sliced into rounds. The pastries turn wonderfully golden brown and crisp during baking. Let cool completely before serving, dusted with powdered sugar.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 jar fig jam (sweet, to taste)
- 100 grams walnuts (to taste)
- powdered sugar (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 356°C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry and generously spread with the fig jam.
- Coarsely dice the nuts and sprinkle evenly over the jam.
- Roll the dough on the longest side.
- Cut into 2 cm slices and place on the prepared pan, pressing each one slightly with your fingers.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
- When coolded, sprinkle with powdered sugar to taste.