Sweet Cream CannolisKitchenAid
The dough comes together in just a few moments in the bowl of the Artisan Mini Mixer, and the pasta roller attachment couldn’t be easier to use. You can serve these cannoli unadorned with just sweet ricotta filling the crunchy shell, but I love to jazz up the classic with seasonal fruit and delicious bittersweet cocoa nibs.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 1 eggs
- 1/4 cup marsala wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 8 ounces ricotta
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup dried cherry (Chopped)
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs (garnish)
- 4 cups canola oil
- 1Combine the all purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon, orange zest and the butter In the bowl of your KitchenAid® Artisan® Mini Mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on speed 2 until the mixture is sandy.
- 2Switch to the dough hook. Whisk together the egg, marsala, and sherry vinegar and add to the the bowl of you mixer. Mix on speed 4 until the dough is elastic, scraping down the bowl once or twice.
- 3Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for 30 minutes. While the dough is chilling, make your filling by sifting the powdered sugar into the ricotta, then adding salt, lemon zest, cherries, and cocoa nibs and stir to combine. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- 4Attach the pasta roller to your KitchenAid and turn to speed 4. Divide the dough into two pieces and set one aside. Flour the dough well and feed through the pasta roller starting with the largest setting and going all the way to the thinnest. Set aside, and repeat with the second piece.
- 5Using a large round cookie cutter, cut out circles and wrap them around cannoli tubes using a little water to seal together. You can re sheet the scraps of dough for extra cannoli.
- 6Heat the oil to 375F and carefully drop the cannoli in two a time. Fry for about 2 minutes, until the cannoli shells are golden brown. Remove the shells from the oil with tongs and using a towel carefully slide the shell off the mold. Repeat this with all the dough circles.
- 7Fill the cannoli just before serving. Transfer the ricotta to a pastry bag and pipe the filling into the shells from both ends to fully fill it.
- 8Dip each side of the cannoli into the reserved cocoa nibs. Serve immediately.