Words cannot describe the singular taste of this unique pie that features a puff pastry crust and mashed chickpea filling; instead, you will have to make it for yourself (and your lucky family and friends) to see just how good it really is. The chickpeas lend a subtle nutty flavor without tasting like chickpeas. Once it's spread into the crust, the filling is sprinkled with a liberal amount of powdered sugar to ensure it gets crispy on top.
- 250 grams sugar
- 25 grams flour
- 125 grams chickpeas (cooked and mashed)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 20 grams margarine (melted and cold)
- lemon zest (to taste)
- cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 base (puff pastry pie)
- powdered sugar (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, mashed chickpea, eggs, egg yolk, margarine, lemon zest and cinnamon.
- Stir well until dough is smooth.
- Stretch puff pastry in a pie dish lined with parchment paper, and pierce pastry with a fork.
- Pour filling into pie dish and dust with powdered sugar (this is what creates the crispy surface).
- Bake for about 30 minutes.