- 16 ounces sweet cherries (frozen pitted, thawed, juices reserved)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (OR cherry juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- Stir water, sugar, pineapple or cherry juice and rum extract in medium bowl until sugar dissolves; set aside.Coarsely chop cherries and their juices in food processor. Add sugar mixture; blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into 9 inch square pan; freeze 1 1/2 hours or until edges are solid but center is slushy. Spoon frozen mixture into processor; process to a course texture. Pour back into pan; freeze an additional 1 1/2 hours. Process again. Transfer to a tightly covered container and freeze 3 hours or longer. Recipe can be doubled and made 2 days ahead. Keep frozen.
- If you have an ice cream maker, follow manufacturers instructions. Pour into a tightly covered container and freeze for 3 hours or longer.