- 1 1/3 cups walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup dried figs (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 1/2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar (+ 3 tblsp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 medium eggs
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/3 pounds butternut squash (peeled and shredded)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 ounces dark chocolate
- Heat oven to 350°F. Mix 1 cup walnuts with the figs and orange juice. In a bowl, whisk together the butter, 1 cup sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt until creamy then stir in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and almonds then stir in the shredded squash and the walnut and fig mixture. Transfer to a greased and floured 12 inch loaf pan and bake for about 75 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning out on a wire rack.
- To make the brittle, heat 3 tbsp sugar in a frying pan, add the remaining walnuts, allow to caramelize for a minute then pour out onto a baking sheet lined with lightly greased foil. Spread out and leave to harden.
- Heat cream and coconut oil in a pan, remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted. Spread evenly over the cooled cake then chop the walnut brittle and sprinkle over the top. Leave to set for about 2 hours then serve.
|Calories460Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.