Give your family's burgers a twist. These work for the broiler or even on the grill. Serve on whole wheat buns.
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple
- 3/4 pound smoked ham (fully-cooked boneless)
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Coarsely chop the ham. Place ham in food processor bowl; process about 30 seconds or until coarsely ground. In a mixing bowl combine the pineapple, ground ham, ground pork, green pepper, flour and allspice. Shape into six 1/2-inch-thick patties. Place patties on an unheated rack in a broiler pan. Broil 6 inches from heat about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan cook pineapple juice over medium heat until reduced by half. Brush the patties with half of the pineapple juice; turn and broil 6 minutes longer, until an instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Brush patties with the remaining pineapple juice.