You won't believe the easy trick to roasting a super moist turkey in a minimal amount of time until you try it!
- 1 whole turkey (11-14 lb., giblets removed, patted dry)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 head garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 onion
- 1 handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Adjust a rack to the lowest position in the oven.
- Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and position a roasting rack inside of it.
- Liberally season the turkey with the salt and black pepper, to taste, taking care to season the outside as well as the internal cavity. Set the turkey breast side up onto the roasting rack and tuck the wing tips underneath the legs.
- With clean hands, rub the butter all over the surface of the turkey, and under the breast skin.
- Place the remaining butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the butter on high for 30-40 seconds, or until melted.
- Smash the garlic cloves with a back of the knife and discard the papery skins. Cut the lemon in half.
- Place the garlic, onion, lemon, and herbs in the cavity of the turkey. Pour 2-3 cups of chicken broth into the roasting pan, or enough for it to rise 1/2-inch up the sides of the pan.
- Take a large piece of cheesecloth, at least 14x18-inches, and submerge it in the melted butter, turning to ensure the entire cloth is moistened. Drape the soaked cheesecloth over the turkey like a blanket, leaving no part exposed. Pour any excess melted butter over the turkey.
- Carefully transfer the roasting pan to the lowest rack of the preheated oven.
- Roast the turkey for 2-3 hours on the lowest rack of oven, depending on its weight, until the thickest part of the breast or leg begins to approach an internal temperature of 165°F. Rotate the pan halfway through the cooking time.
- Pro tip: Roast turkey for roughly 15 minutes per pound. Avoid placing thermometer too close to bone, which heats differently than meat, and can yield inaccurate temperature readings. To ensure this turkey comes out with a crispy skin, preview the next step.
- In the last 15-20 minutes of cooking, remove the cheese cloth and increase the oven temperature to 425°F until the thickest part of the breast or leg reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. This ensures a browned, crispy skin.
- Check to see that turkey is done. Remove from oven or add time as needed.
- Allow the turkey to rest on the roasting rack for 30 minutes. Transfer the turkey to a cutting board. Carve as desired, and serve.