- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 large carrot (chopped in 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 parsnip (medium, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 sweet potato (medium, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (see Notes)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups green lentils (or cooked brown, see Notes)
- 1/4 cup SunButter Natural Crunch
- 4 cups greens (packed chopped, such as swiss chard or kale)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- salt (if needed)
- Notes: For the curry powder, you may need less depending on its intensity. Start with half the amount if you’re sensitive to spice, then add more at the end of cooking. If you are using canned lentils, drain and rinse before using.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the carrot, parsnip, and sweet potato to the mixture. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, coriander, and ginger to the vegetable mixture. Cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant, then add the broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer on medium-low heat, cover, and let cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the lentils, SunButter, and greens to the mixture. Cook until the greens are wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice vinegar.
- Adjust seasonings and add salt to taste (you may not need salt if you used regular-sodium broth). Serve warm.
|Calories450Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Maureen O. 25 days ago
Delicious! I used Trader Joe's vacuum-packed lentils and crunchy peanut butter, and it worked fine. very thick, though - next time I might add an extra cup or two of stock.
Farangis 5 Dec 2018
So delicious and Yummly l will make it again
April D. 13 Nov 2018
Absolutely delish! I didnt change a thing. Warm, creamy, flavorful! Exactly what I needed on this cold November evening.
Perez 19 Oct 2018
Delicious! Perfect balance in between the Sunflower Butter and Curry so good and comforting for fall season.
Terry H. 13 Oct 2018
Delicious, perfect comfort food that you know is good for you!