Stuffed TomatoesO Meu Tempero
Tomatoes are wonderful when scooped out and used as "cups" for savory fillings. Here, the tomatoes are halved and then stuffed with breadcrumbs that are seasoned with garlic, oregano, and parsley and toasted in a little olive oil to deepen the flavors. When baked, the tomato halves soften just enough while still holding their shape and retaining their fresh taste. Serve as a first course for a summer dinner, or as a side dish for grilled meat, poultry, or fish.
- 2 tomatoes (large)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- freshly ground pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 2Cut tomatoes in half. Trim base so tomatoes be stable.
- 3Remove inner core of tomato with a teaspoon and drain hollow tomato on paper towel with pulp side down.
- 4In a small saucepan, heat olive oil over low heat until warm.
- 5Remove from heat and add garlic, oregano, parsley and bread crumbs.
- 6Season with salt and pepper and toss until combined.
- 7Place tomato halves on a baking dish.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
- 9Stuff tomatoes with breadcrumbs mixture.
- 10Bake in preheated oven for 5-10 minutes or until golden.
- 11Drizzle with olive oil and serve warm.