Squid is a lean, quick cooking, and tasty option for making busy weeknight meals that are also a refreshing change of pace from chicken or pasta, and even kids like it. Here the squid tubes (or bodies) are stuffed with a savory mixture made by sauting bacon, onion, tomato, and the chopped squid tentacles until tender and then adding tomato paste and rice and cooking until the grains are tender. Once stuffed, the squid are cooked in the same pan.
- 6 squid
- olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1/2 red pepper
- 100 milliliters white wine
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ground black pepper (salt)
- 3 tablespoons rice
- Remove squid skin, clean squid thoroughly and rinse in plenty of cold water.
- Drain well.
- Chop tentacles and set aside.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and sauté onion.
- Add diced bacon and sauté briefly.
- Deglaze pan with wine and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Add diced tomato.
- Add chopped tentacles and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add rice and cook until rice is half-cooked.
- Fill squid with rice mixture, secure and close ends with a toothpick.
- Add a little olive oil to hot pan and return stuffed squid to pan.
- Cook over low heat until rice is tender.
- Serve immediately.