Stuffed Roasted ChickenYummly
No waiting until Thanksgiving when you can make this tender, oven-roasted chicken filled with savory bread stuffing any time of year!
- 5 pounds whole roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces day-old baguette
- 1/4 onions
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- 2Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil and position a roasting rack inside of it.
- 3Remove the giblets from the cavity of the chicken and discard. Rinse the chicken under cold water and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Liberally season the chicken with 2 tsp. salt and black pepper, to taste, taking care to season the outside as well as the internal cavity.
- 5In a small bowl, stir the softened butter and olive oil together until mostly combined. It is okay if some pieces of butter are still visible.
- 6With clean hands, rub the butter and olive oil all over the surface of the chicken, and under the breast skin.
- 7Transfer the chicken breast-side up onto the roasting rack.
- 8Tie the legs securely together with kitchen twine. Tuck the wing tips underneath the body of the chicken.
- 9With a sharp knife, cut the baguette into ½” cubes.
- 10Finely dice the onion and celery.
- 11Mince the garlic clove.
- 12Set a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter.
- 13Once the butter is melted, add the onion and celery to the skillet. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and translucent.
- 14Add the garlic and dried herbs to the skillet and sauté 30 seconds longer.
- 15Add the baguette cubes to the skillet and stir with a rubber spatula to coat with the vegetables and herbs. Season with ¼ tsp. salt and black pepper, to taste.
- 16Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the contents to a large mixing bowl.
- 17Stream the chicken broth over the bread cubes. Stir with a rubber spatula until the bread is evenly moistened and holds together slightly when pinched.
- 18Using a spoon and clean hands, fill the cavity of the chicken with the stuffing, taking care to not pack it too tightly. There may be some stuffing left unused.
- 19Transfer the roasting pan to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- 20Roast the chicken for 85-95 minutes, or until the thickest part of the chicken breast reaches an internal temperature of 160° F.
- 21Remove the roasting pan from the oven.
- 22Allow the chicken to rest on the roasting rack for 10 minutes.
- 23Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Carve as desired, and serve.