Stuffed Red PeppersO Meu Tempero
Stuffed peppers are great on their own, with a salad alongside, or served as an accompaniment to grilled or roasted meats and fish. The fillings can vary, but often include rice (as in this recipe) or other grains, including barley, bulgur, and quinoa. Here the rice is mixed with corn, basil, and grated cheese, plus a fragrant tomato curry. Before filling the hollowed out peppers, season the inside with salt and pepper.
- 1 onions (small)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1 tomatoes (peeled, cored and chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 tablespoons Carolino rice
- salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons sweet corn (canned)
- 10 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons grating cheese
- 1 red bell pepper
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 chile pepper (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 2Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté chopped onion.
- 3Add chopped garlic and sauté for about 1 additional minute.
- 4Add chopped tomato and curry. Let simmer for a few more minutes until tomato is cooked.
- 5In a saucepan, cook rice in boiling, salted water. Drain rice and mix with onion mixture.
- 6Add corn, chopped basil, and grated cheese. Mix well.
- 7Slice bell pepper lengthwise and carefully remove seeds and stems.
- 8Season inside pepper halves with salt and pepper and place in a baking dish.
- 9Fill pepper halves generously with rice mixture.
- 10Bake until peppers are knife-tender.
- 11Serve warm and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and minced chile peppers.