Stuffed Pork Chops with Beer-Glazed OnionsPork
A simple, but flavorful stuffing is a great way to keep chops ultra moist and flavorful while grilling. This stuffing delivers an intense trio of tastes by combining sautéed bacon, Fontina cheese and meltingly tender beer-glazed onions. Serve with Chilled Mushroom Salad and seasonal fruit.
- 4 bone-in ribeye pork chops ( 1 1/2-inches thick*)
- 4 slices smoked bacon (hickory, OR peppered bacon)
- 4 ounces fontina cheese (OR white Cheddar cheese, grated, 1 cup)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 onions (medium, peeled and chopped, about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/3 cup beer
- 1In medium skillet, cook and stir onion in oil until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Stir in brown sugar; cook for 2 minutes to caramelize. Stir in beer; simmer for 5 minutes or until there is no liquid. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- 2Cook bacon in skillet or on griddle over medium high heat until crispy. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and add to onion mixture. Stir cheese into onion mixture; set aside.
- 3Prepare pork chops for stuffing by inserting sharp paring or boning knife through side of each chop until tip touches bone. Carefully cut opening to width of about 1 inch. Swing knife tip through chop to create pocket, being careful not to widen opening. Turn knife and swing blade in opposite direction to make finished pocket as large as possible. Divide onion mixture among 4 chops (about 1/4 cup stuffing for each).Carefully stuff the mixture into the center of each chop. Season both sides of chops with salt and pepper. Preheat grill to 400 to 450 degrees F. Spray chops lightly with cooking spray; place on hot grill. Cover; cook for 8 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. using an instant-read thermometer.
- 4Remove from grill; cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories220Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat150|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.