- 1 kilogram potatoes (washed)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 100 grams bacon slices
- 50 grams gherkins (drained and finely diced)
- 4 tablespoons hot mustard (medium-)
- 2 onions
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 200 milliliters vegetable stock
- 800 grams white fish fillets (eg, cod, ling, coley)
- 1 medium egg (separated)
- 100 grams plain flour
- 150 milliliters lager
- 1 1/2 bunches chives (snipped)
- 1 liter oil (for deep frying)
- Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for about 20 mins. Drain and rinse in cold water, peel and slice. Place in a bowl. Heat the oil in a skillet, add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel. Set aside the bacon fat. Finely crumble half the bacon, and mix with the pickles and 2 tbsp of the mustard.
- Heat the bacon fat and cook the onions until softened. Add the sugar, and deglaze with cider vinegar and stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt, pepper and the remaining mustard. Add to the potatoes and set aside. Cut a deep pocket in each piece of fish, and fill with the pickle mixture.
- Mix the egg yolk with the flour and beer. Whisk the egg white until stiff and gently fold into the beer mixture; the batter should be quite thick. Heat the oil in a deep pan. Season the fish with salt, dip into the batter and deep fry for about 4 mins. Drain on kitchen towels.
- Mix the chives into the potato salad and season to taste. Garnish with the remaining bacon. Serve the fish with a honey-mustard sauce, if desired.