- 2 eggplant (medium)
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 ounces salami (cut into thin strips)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (torn)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 15 ounces tomato puree
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup couscous
- 15 ounces chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 9 ounces cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (coarsely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking pans with foil. Cut each eggplant lengthwise into 4 thin slices. Place on prepared pans and spray with no stick cooking spray. Bake for 10 mins or until golden. Set aside to cool. Mix the ricotta cheese, salami, egg, onions, basil and lemon peel in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- For each roll, place a slice of eggplant on a flat work surface. Place 1 tbsp of the ricotta mixture along one narrow end; roll up to enclose filling. Place the rolls in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Spoon the tomato puree over the rolls and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 20 mins until bubbly and golden.
- Meanwhile, place the couscous in a medium bowl; stir in 1/2 cup boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 mins or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, mint, lemon juice and oil; toss to combine.
- Spoon couscous onto serving plates. Top with the eggplant rolls. Serve at once.
|Calories680Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.