Cabbage leaves make edible wrappers for all sorts of savory fillings. Here, the filling is a hearty mixture of ground beef and pork that's seasoned with balsamic vinegar and fresh parsley. The rolls are often simmered in a sauce on the stovetop, but here they are arranged on a baking sheet and the sauce is poured over them before covering and baking, for a more hands off method. And it's the flavorful tomato based sauce that makes the dish.
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 250 grams ground beef
- 250 grams ground pork
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onions (small)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 30 grams margarine
- For the filling, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic.
- Add ground beef and ground pork, season with salt and pepper, and fry until the meat is cooked.
- Remove from heat and add parsley, vinegar and sugar.
- Mix well and set aside.
- For the sauce, in a skillet, heat olive oil and sauté chopped onion for 2-3 minutes without letting it brown.
- Add blended tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, thyme and sugar.
- Stir well and cook for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- With a sharp knife, remove cabbage stem and central vein and separate the leaves.
- Blanch cabbage leaves in a large pan of boiling, salted water and cook for 1-2 minutes until softened.
- Drain well.
- Repeat steps until all the leaves are blanched and ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Arrange leaves in a baking dish and fill with meat mixture.
- Fold leaves over filling and roll into a packet.
- Seal rolls and secure rolls with toothpicks.
- Pour sauce over rolls and tops rolls with small pieces of margarine.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until the rolls are tender.