- 2 butternut squash (medium, about 2 1/2 pounds each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 bunch kale (stems removed and chopped, about 6 lightly packed cups)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus additional for roasting squash)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ( , plus additional for roasting squash)
- 15 ounces low sodium chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 Orange (plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (reduced sugar)
- grated parmesan cheese (or crumbled feta cheese, optional)
nathan w. 23 Nov 2018
wifey loved it alot will make it again
Dawn Rainbolt 28 Jan 2018
We made a few changes to this one: used coucous instead of quinoa as that's what we had at the house, and cut the kale out. Instead, we added onions and spinach, and mixed it with the rest of the cooked butternut. I think we may have added a little carrots too but might be confusing recipes! All worked out well in the end :)
Linda Swalsky 21 Nov 2017
Would add onions; altered it for 2 people, only used 1 squash. Good basic stuffed squash recipe. Cheese on top enhanced flavour.
Jane R. 21 Nov 2017
Made this last night as a side dish. I left out the quinoa and kale, but did scoop out the cooked squash and mix it with the other ingredients. It was lovely and delicious. For a heartier meal, I'll include the quinoa and kale next time.
Mrs. Colón 13 Nov 2017
I thought this to be really good! I loved the variety of flavors. My husband, who hates vegetables ate it up! It was so filling, I will definitely make it again!
Sabina A. 7 Nov 2017
Saw the picture and made this recipe the same day. Very tasty and will make again. The zest of a whole orange adds a little too much bitterness for my taste so will cut that back next time. I sprinkled with a little parm before the final cooking phase to brown it a little. Filling, satisfying and scrumptious..
Connie 6 Nov 2017
Followed the recipe exactly. I tried feta cheese and Parmesan cheese on separate sections I preferred the feta, it went better with the cranberries and squash.
Nita 31 Oct 2017
I used frozen cranberries & forgot the peas. It was still quite good.
Val 29 Oct 2017
Fabulous! Simple, clean food with flavors complex enough to satisfy taste buds.
Casey Heyen 8 Nov 2016
Delicious recipe. I cooked the quinoa in water and sprinkled some feta on top. It was a filling and exciting meal