Making flavored butters is a smart idea, since you can keep them, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator and slice off what you need at a time. This recipe has you make your own "butter" by beating cream in a food processor (or blender) until whipped and then allowed to drain so you're left with something that does indeed have the texture of spreadable butter. Here it's flecked with chopped fresh cilantro and would be delicious with chicken, fish, and even vegetables.
- 1 bun (medium-sized rye)
- 1 package mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 3 slices bacon (chopped)
- 3 slices spicy sausage (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- oregano (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut off the top of the bread. Use a fork to remove the inside of the bread. Reserve the top and insides.
- For the filling: In a bowl, mix the cheese with bacon, spicy sausage, garlic, mayonnaise and oregano.
- Place filling inside the rye bun.
- Place the bun on a baking sheet along with the reserved bread. Bake until filling is browned and bubbly and bread is toasted.
- Serve hot with toasted bread.