Stromboli is a savory turnover that is made with a yeast dough similar to pizza dough which is stuffed with a variety of filling. In this recipe, the dough is filled with your choice of meats, cheeses, and vegetables. A great way to set this up for a family meal or a party is to portion out the dough and set out all the toppings so each person can create their own turnover with whatever fillings they want.
- 10 grams yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- meat filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1To make 1 large, 2 medium, or 4 individual stromboli
- 2Preheat oven to 200 Celsius
- 3Place the milk at the bottom of the bowl of the electric mixer and add the yeast, sugar, flour, and salt. Use the hook on speed 2 until the dough forms. Continue to mix approximately 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and no longer sticks to the table.
- 4Lightly grease a large bowl with oil and place the ball of dough in it, turning until it is completely oiled. Cover the dough in the bowl with a clean cloth and let rise approximately 40 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- 5Stretch the dough out on the counter to form a rectangle approximately 1/2 cm thick. Sprinkle with chosen filling ingredients in layers and carefully roll up into a cylinder.
- 6Place the stromboli roll(s) onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with a cloth, and let rise until it doubles in size.
- 7Brush with oil or beaten egg. Cut a few slits in the top of each and bake at 200 celsius for 30 or 40 minutes, depending on the size.
- 8Remove from oven, let cool approximately 10 minutes, slice, and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories490Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat210|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.