This striped cake is a beautiful and luxurious treat for an afternoon visit from a friend. Layering white vanilla cake with pink vanilla cake, a layer of your favorite jam runs between each layer of cake. A layer of rich melted chocolate coats the top of this beautiful cake. Cut away the sides for a uniform finish that highlights the distinct layers. Serve alongside a cup of coffee or your favorite tea.
- 210 grams butter (room temperature)
- 300 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 320 grams pastry flour
- red food coloring (optional)
- jam (mango, or any other flavor you like to combine with chocolate)
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line 2 (20- by 30-centimeter) baking pans with parchment paper.
- Mix together the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- While continuing to beat, mix in the eggs one by one, the milk, and the flour until the batter is well combined and without lumps.
- Optionally, divide the batter in two and add some red food coloring to one half.
- Fill each baking pan 1 centimeter full and bake for 10 minutes until just golden. Let cool completely and carefully remove from the parchment paper.
- Cut each cake in half and stack one on top of the other with mango jam in between each layer. If you used the food coloring, alternate colors.
- Put something on top to weigh the cake down, and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Put the dark chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 1-minute increments until everything has melted. Coat the top of the cake with this mixture.
- Optionally, you can cut the sides of the cake so everything looks orderly and the same size.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1260Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.