Winter desserts call for crunchy, buttery crumbles of goodness atop a sweet and bitter piping hot desert after any meal during. Not only does the juice from the strawberries create a thick, lip-smacking sauce, but the sourness of the rhubarb cuts through the natural sweetness and enhances the dish tediously. Served by itself or, better yet, with a scoop of cold, fresh, vanilla ice cream and a little whip cream.
- 1,600 grams rhubarb
- 800 grams strawberries
- 90 grams sugar (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 100 grams cookies (Speculoos)
- 50 grams flour
- 115 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- spelt flakes
- 3 tablespoons fromage blanc
- 7.5 grams vanilla sugar
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the rhubarb, peel it, and cut it into small chunks removing the strings.
- Wash the strawberries, remove the stems, and cut them in half.
- Put half of the the fruits in a dish and sprinkle them with 40 grams of sugar. Set aside the other half og the rhubarb and strawberries.
- Place the Speculos cookies in a blender to turn them to powder. Add the flour, 50 grams of sugar, and 100 grams of butter. Mix intermittently until obtaining a coarse sand.
- Spread the dough over the fruit and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 180 C and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve lukewarm.
- Place 800 grams of rhubarb in a pan with 2 tablespoons of water and heat. Cook with lid on low heat to make a compote. Add the remaining strawberries and sweeten the compote to your taste. Cook for 5 minutes. The sauce will gain a beautiful and intensified red color. Put aside.
- In a frying pan, heat 15 grams of butter, add the spelt flakes and the 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Stir so the cereal can caramelize but not burn. Reserve.
- Whip 3 tablespoons of fromage blanc with vanilla sugar.
- Place compote at the bottom of the individual serving dish, add half a tablespoon of fromage blanc, and garnish with the crunchy caramelized cereal.
|Calories610Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat250|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.