- 2 medium eggs (separated)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 gelatin leaves (or 1 1/2 tbsp gelatin powder)
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries (halved)
- 1 pound mascarpone
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1/2 cup limoncello
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10 inch springform pan.
- Place the egg whites and 2 tbsp water in a bowl and whip until stiff while gradually trickling in 1/3 cup sugar. Stir in the egg yolks. Mix the cocoa powder, cornstarch, flour and baking powder together then fold into the egg mixture.
- Transfer to the cake pan and smooth out. Bake for 18-20 mins, until golden and springy. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan.
- Place 1 gelatin leaf in a bowl of cold water and the other 5 gelatin leaves in a separate bowl of cold water. Soak for 5-6 mins. Meanwhile, place 3 oz strawberries in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the single gelatin leaf then place in a small saucepan over a low heat to melt. Mix in 1 tbsp strawberry purée to loosen it then mix in the rest of the purée. Transfer to a bowl and chill for 15 mins.
- Squeeze the excess liquid from the other gelatin leaves and place then in a saucepan over a low heat to melt. Mix the mascarpone, vanilla extract, remaining sugar, lemon juice and Limoncello together. Mix 3 tbsp of the mixture into the gelatin to loosen it then mix it back into the rest of the mascarpone mixture. Chill for 15 mins.
- Whip the cream and fold into the lemon filling. Loosen the springform pan around the cake and remove. Fit a cake ring around the cake. Arrange the strawberries on top of the cake base and spread the lemon cream on top. Swirl the strawberry puree into the lemon cream then place in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set.
PER SERVING *
|Calories330Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.