- 2 medium eggs (separated)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatin
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries (halved)
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup limoncello
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 10 inch springform cake pan. Place the egg whites and 2 tbsp water in a bowl. While gradually adding 1/3 cup sugar, whip with a hand mixer until stiff. Stir in the egg yolks. Mix the cocoa powder, cornstarch, flour and baking powder together, then fold into the egg mixture. Transfer to the cake pan and smooth the top. Bake for 18-20 mins, until golden and springy. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan.
- Dissolve the gelatin according to package instructions. Place 1/2 cup strawberries in a food processor and blend until smooth. Mix 1 tsp of the gelatin with the strawberry purée, then transfer to a bowl and chill for 15 mins. Mix the rest of the gelatin with the mascarpone, vanilla extract, 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice and limoncello. Chill for 15 mins.
- Whip the cream, then fold into the lemon mixture. Remove the cake from the pan, and fit a cake ring around it. Arrange the strawberries on top, then spread with the lemon cream. Swirl the strawberry purée into the lemon cream, then chill for at least 4 hours to set.
|Calories270Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat120|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.