- baking spray (Pillsbury™, with Flour)
- 5 large eggs (at room temperature, separated)
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (Magnolia®)
- 5 ounces PET Evaporated Milk (2/3 cup)
- 12 ounces Smucker's Strawberry Preserves
- 1 cup heavy cream (chilled)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- HEAT oven to 350° F. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with no-stick cooking spray with flour. For Cake: BEAT egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in a large mixer bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until almost stiff. Blend in milk, vanilla, flour and baking powder. Wash beaters.
- WHIP egg whites in a small mixer bowl on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until firm but not dry. Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 34 to 36 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
- LOOSEN edge of cake with a knife before removing cake from pan. Invert cake onto deep serving plate. Using a two-pronged meat fork or skewer, pierce surface of cake several dozen times. In a small bowl, blend milk, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Slowly pour over cake, allowing it to be absorbed before adding more. Repeat until all the milk is used. Cover cake and refrigerate overnight.
- For filling and topping: CHILL beaters and small mixing bowl in refrigerator for 10 minutes. Cut cake in half horizontally. Remove top, spread bottom layer with strawberry preserves. Replace top of cake. Beat cream and powdered sugar in small bowl at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Frost cooled cake. Decorate with sliced strawberries and mint, if desired. Store loosely covered cake in refrigerator.
|Calories390Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.