In the height of strawberry season it is easy to get a little over-eager and purchase more than you know what to do with. That is where this strawberr syrup comes in. With only 3 ingredients, it is so easy to make and you can enjoy it in a variety of different ways. This syrup is lightly flavored with vanilla, while perfectly complements the sweet red strawberries. Try this syrup drizzled over a bowl of vanilla ice cream or try it over pancakes for a summer breakfast.
- 1 kilogram strawberries
- 500 grams powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla pods
- The day before, wash, remove stems, and puree the strawberries. Split the vanilla pod in half, scrape it, and mix both seeds and pod in with strawberry puree. Refrigerate overnight.
- Strain the strawberry puree through a conical or fine strainer to remove the maximum amount of strawberry seeds.
- Pour the sugar and the strawberries into a large saucepan and bring it to boil. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, skimming regularly.
- Pour the syrup into a previously boiled glass jar. Once cooled, store in the refrigerator. The syrup keeps for between 2 and 3 weeks if refrigerated with lid securely closed.
- Serve with fresh water for a fruit cordial.