- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (+ 3 tbsp)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup butter
- 1 pound cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup ground almonds (toasted)
- 1 cup biscotti (crushed + 2 tbsp)
- 1 pound strawberries (hulled and chopped)
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (each approx. 12x12 inches)
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
- For the vanilla custard, heat milk in a saucepan with 3 tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool slightly. Whisk together 2 eggs and heavy cream. Slowly add the hot milk mixture then return to the pot and whisk over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. For the filing, cream 5 1/2 tbsp butter in a bowl with a pinch of salt, remaining vanilla extract and sugar. Add remaining eggs, 1 at a time, beating well between each addition. Add cottage cheese. Fold in almonds, biscotti crumbles and strawberries.
- Melt remaining butter in a small saucepan. Place a large sheet of baking parchment on a clean work surface. Using 4 sheets of phyllo pastry, overlapping slightly, make a 16 x 20 inch rectangle on top of the baking parchment so that the 16 inch side is perpendicular to you. Brush with butter. Repeat with remaining sheets. Place the filling in the center of the phyllo dough, leaving a 1 inch border at the top and bottom. Fold over the long sides of the pastry to enclose the filling then turn over so the seam is on the bottom. Pinch the ends and tuck under. Transfer to the prepared pan, brush with butter and bake for 35 mins. Remove from oven, brush with remaining butter and allow to cool. Serve dusted with powder sugar and the vanilla custard.
|Calories500Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.