- 4 pints strawberries (hulled and halved)
- 1/4 cup sugar (plus 2 tbsp to sprinkle)
- 4 cups cream (heay)
- 4 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold, cubed)
- 1 egg yolk (mixed with 1 tsp water)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Toss strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Beat 2 cups of the cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the shortcakes, place flour, baking powder and salt in a food processor and pulse until well blended. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining 2 cups cream and mix with a fork until smooth. If mixture is too dry, add a few more tablespoons of cream or milk. Turn out onto a floured work surface and roll to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Use a 2 1/2 to 3 inch round cookie cutter to cut circles from dough. Place circles 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Brush tops with egg yolk mixture. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp sugar.
- Bake about 12 mins or until puffed and browned at the edges. Cool on wire racks.
- To serve, split shortcakes in half. Place bottoms in shallow bowls. Top with whipped cream, then strawberries with their juices. Replace tops. Serve remaining cream and strawberries on the side.
PER SERVING *
|Calories590Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.