- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold, cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries (hulled)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Insert the mini-bowl into the work bowl of KitchenAid® Pro Line® 16 cup Food Processor and fit with the mini-blade. Push to lock.
- 2Add in flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and pulse 5 times.
- 3Add in the butter and process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about a minute.
- 4With the motor running, pour the buttermilk and vanilla into the feed tube and process until dough begins to come together in a ball.
- 5Remove dough from bowl and form it into a disc. Roll dough out to 1/2 inch thickness and use a 3 inch circular cutter to cut dough into rounds.
- 6Place rounds on a lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until raised and lightly browned. Cool to room temperature.
- 7Wash and dry mini-bowl and blade and place back into work bowl.
- 8Add in heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar and process until thickened, 30-40 seconds. Add in lemon zest and pulse 5 times. Scrape whipped cream into a small bowl and set aside.
- 9Remove mini-bowl and place slicing disc into the work bowl. Set to the 6th notch from the left. Feed the strawberries through the small feed tube to slice.
- 10To assemble shortcakes, slice each biscuit in half and place 4-5 strawberry slices on one half. Spoon 1 tablespoon of whipped cream over top strawberries and place other biscuit half on top.
- 11Tip: As an alternative presentation, layer crumbled biscuit pieces, strawberries, and whipped cream into individual parfait glasses.